At Keep Growing Detroit we host many grower gatherings throughout the year. These events are designed to introduce growers to one another, help growers build skills, and increase access to resources for gardens and farms.
SEED STORIES: A Celebration of Seed Savers
February 24th 6-8PM at Red Door Digital, 7500 Oakland Ave. To kick off 2020, KGD is celebrating the people who save, grow, eat and share heirloom and open pollinated seeds. Many seed varieties are in danger of disappearing as a result of large corporations buying up and controlling many seed companies. It takes the work of dedicated farmers, seed savers, and chefs who value preserving this critical biodiversity to grow the food sovereign city that we envision at KGD! Come learn and celebrate the humble seed with growers, chefs, and good food advocates from across the city.
SEED PACKING EVENTS
This winter, gardeners and farmers in Detroit are coming together to pack over 1.5 MILLION seeds to get ready for the 2020 Garden Resource Program. These family-friendly events are open to all who want to pitch in and are a great way to learn about how you can be involved as a gardener, eater or volunteer this season.
- Thursday, January 30th, 6-8PM at Brightmoor Artisans Collective, 22735 Fenkell Ave. (Northwest)
- Saturday, February 1st, 2-4PM at Oloman Cafe, 10215 Joseph Campau (Hamtramck)
- Wednesday, February 5th, 6-8PM Wednesday, 6-8pm at Hope Church, 14456 E. Jefferson Ave. (Eastside)
- Tuesday, February 11th, 6-8PM at Detroit Black Community Food Security Network, 11000 W. McNichols. (Westside)
- Tuesday, February 18th, 1-3PM at Georgia St Community Collective, 8902 Vinton (Eastside)
- Saturday, February 22nd, 1-3PM at Cristo Rey High School, 5679 Vernor Hwy (Southwest)