NAVIGATING LAND ACCESS FOR GARDENS & FARMERS
Keep Growing Detroit believes that all residents deserve a simple, fair, and transparent process to purchase land. Growers that don’t own the property that they’re cultivating face an increased risk of losing the time, energy and resources that they’ve invested. KGD can support growers through the process of acquiring land by:
- Figuring out who owns the property
- Understanding City programs and the process to purchase
- Supporting growers with filling out a property applications
- Developing plot plans
- Changing the land use to urban agriculture
- Understanding City ordinances that relate to urban agriculture
If you would like support with any of the above please fill out THIS FORM.
OTHER USEFUL LINKS:
- CITY OF DETROIT URBAN AGRICULTURE ORDINANCE
- CITY OF DETROIT LAND BASED PROJECTS PAGE
- CITY OF DETROIT PLOT PLAN & MAINTENANCE GUIDE
- DETROIT LAND BANK AUTHORITY LAND REUSE PAGE
- DETROIT LAND BANK AUTHORITY VACANT LAND REUSE TUTORIALS
- WHY DON’T WE OWN THIS?
- DETROIT GOOD FOOD ENTERPRISE LEGAL HANDBOOK
- KGD Guide to SECURING YOUR LAND
- KGD Guide to the CHANGE OF USE PROCESSS
- KGD Guide on PROPERTY ASSESSMENT
- KGD Guide on URBAN AGRICULTURE ZONING
THE DETROIT BLACK FARMER LAND FUND
The Detroit Black Farmer Land Fund (DBFLF) grew from the realization that in Detroit, white farmers can acquire land more easily than black farmers. Some of the obstacles black farmers face include lack of access to capital, time, and the ability to navigate the often arduous acquisition process. To address these disparities, Keep Growing Detroit partnered with Detroit Black Community Food Security Network and Oakland Avenue Urban Farm to create the DBFLF to address gaps in access to capital and to target technical assistance efforts to this underserved group.
Applications for assistance from the 2021 Detroit Black Farmer Land Fund be released this Summer. If you wish to contribute to the Fund, our 2021 fundraising efforts will officially launch on Junteenth but you can make a donation anytime through our Cashapp account at $Detroitblackfarmer. You can follow the fund on Facebook or contact [email protected]